Staff Empowerment Keeping Our Staff and Customers Safe – West Sussex
The training included staff dealing with customers on a regular basis that have very complex situations around registrar bookings or bereavement, those working in libraries and across wider services.
Training covered the following areas:
- Customer Service – what is good customer service?
- Managing Aggressive members of the public - how?
- Knowing your boundaries and responsibilities - i.e. it is OK to phone the police
- Saying No effectively
- What is unacceptable behaviour?
- If staff are working alone/managing a smaller site how do you handle difficult customers i.e. Customer with Autism / Asperger Syndrome
- Recognise different stages of conflict escalation
- Recognise the signs of conflict and aggression
- Maintain composure when responding to conflict and aggression
- Use skills to manage their words, phrases and body language
- Demonstrate skills to stay calm and manage angry customer behaviour
- Structuring and controlling the conversation
- Listening and calming the situation
- Acknowledging difficulties and customer emotions
- Managing unpredictability (drugs, alcohol, mental illness, etc.)
- Handling abusive behaviour
- Solving the problem