Sue is a highly experienced children’s services professional with significant expertise in early years development, education, health, and social care. Most recently she has been director for Early Years and Integrated Leadership at the National College for Teaching and Leadership. Prior to this she was assistant director of children’s services in Cheshire, local authority parenting commissioner, principal school improvement officer and primary school headteacher. As a senior civil servant Sue has worked closely with government ministers and senior education department colleagues to design and deliver national policy initiatives for early years, education and vulnerable children.
She has recently established a new social enterprise, International Early Years, providing a digital platform for early years practitioners to share practice and research globally and is working with Education Ministries in Brunei, Rwanda and Oman to develop early childhood and parenting services.
Over the last year Sue has led the following development projects:
• Designed Early Help Strategies for two English local authorities including full redesign of early years and childcare services
• Development of a School Improvement Recovery programme for an under-performing local authority
• Designed School Readiness online progress tracker for schools, children’s centres and early years nurseries
• Leadership articles for Youth Sport Trust, Children’s Centre Leader Reader, Nursery World and Beecham Papers publications
• Collaborative work with the University of Northampton and UNICEF on Rights of the Child 2015 goals
• Designed Early Years Leadership programme for EYFS senior leaders in nurseries and schools
• Presented evidence to the Government Select Committee on the effectiveness of children’s centre provision
• Worked with the University of Bath to develop Attachment Friendly Schools Quality Mark
• Working with Ready Nation USA to consider the partnership between business enterprise and early childhood services
MA in Educational Leadership
Certificate in Primary Nurture Group Practice
Diploma in Language and Literacy Studies