New analysis from the Children’s Commissioner for England reveals, for the first time, the scale of vulnerability among children in England. These reports bring together a range of information held by various government departments, agencies and others. Its initial analysis reveals a host of shocking statistics about the number of children living in vulnerable situations.
- Over half a million children so vulnerable that the state has to step in
- 670,000 children in England growing up in ‘high risk’ family situations
- Thousands of children living with adults in treatment for drink or drugs
- 800,000 children suffering from mental health difficulties
- Tens of thousands of children involved with gangs
- Over a thousand new child victims of slavery each year
- Many more children under the radar, not being seen