The Department for Education - commissioned a report into the fostering system.
They talk about a range of issues specifically:
- The gap in sufficiency of foster carer’s 7,600 more are needed
- Some children being moved between placements too many times
- The appropriateness of placements – identity and cultural issues
- A lack of high-quality foster carers.
- The sector is largely made up of people over the age of 50 and so is losing experienced carers through retirement.
- The sector is struggling to support children and young people with complex needs, as well as older children and those with behavioural issues.
- Problems around commissioning, with concerns raised that council commissioners lack expertise and are making placement decisions based around financial constraints rather than the best needs of children.
See the education select committee report here.