LB Waltham Forest - Responding to Trauma and Parental Conflict
We were delighted to deliver a large programme of training to staff across Early Help around Trauma and Parental Conflict.
Training supported practitioners to understand and develop confidence in working with the many parents that practitioners come into contact with where parental conflict is present.
Trauma and Parental Conflict
- What is trauma? Overview of dynamics and types of trauma
- Parental conflict - the dynamics
- Brief overview of brain development and adverse child experiences - specific link to parental conflict including evidence of links
- Window of tolerance
- 5F responses - friend, fight, flight, freeze, flop
Recognising Parental Conflict
- Trauma informed approach - the four R’s - realise, recognised, respond, avoid re traumatization
- Application to practice around recognising parental conflict and links to evidence
Responding to Parental Conflict
- Supporting approaches - mediation, counselling, negotiating, motivational interviewing, coaching
- Core principles around responding and behaviour change
- Using skills and tools to promote change
- Dealing with resistance
We also provided sessions for champions across the Early Help Workforce to support embedding across the practice and support external partners
Thank you so much for all your support. Everyone loved the sessions and got such a lot from them. You are a superstar!
You have been great at helping us map out the next steps as Champions, so we have a great basis to go forward.
Barbara Jean Low, Early Help Co-ordinator, London Borough of Waltham Forest